Monday, November 15, 2010

What should I make for the class art project?!

Hey Crafties!   Did you do your Fitness Friday workout???

Newest obstacle .... As the all unknowing Grade mother, I was thrown into a class art project with one week to figure out what to do, get the students to help make it, and turn it in.  WHAT?! 

Of course I was panick stricken ... ackkkhhh! 

So my brain started to churn and I remembered that my sister painted some stools for my boys' rooms several years ago.  They are precious!  Ah Ha ... thats a great idea.  Paint a stool.  Now, what can I paint that 26 students can say they helped paint?  Hmmmm ......  each student can use their fingerprints .... fingerprints can make bugs .... fingerprints that are ants .... ants like picnics .... ants like sugar.... sugar is sweet .... sweet is watermelon!  YEAH!!!  That is it!!!!!!

I have my idea.  Each kid brought $1 for the project.  I was able to buy a stool at Target and lots of acrylic gloss paint from WalMart. 

I sketched the watermelons and ant lines on the stool with pencil.  I wanted the students to see where the ants should be on the stool ... so I drew a line where they would put their fingerprints.  I had each student dip their pinky finger in black acrylic gloss paint and paint 2 of their fingerprints on any of the lines. 
As you can see, some of the ants are A LOT bigger than others.  LOL.  That is ok! 
Paint your initial layer of color, let it dry, repaint more layers until you like the consistency. 
 I added an ant hill on one side. 
Put a small black dot on each fingerprint for the ant's head.
Each head gets 2 small antenae with 2 small dots on top of each head.  I used a fine tip black Sharpie marker. 
Add 8 tiny legs on each fingerprint for the legs.  I used the Sharpie here too.
Add a few streaks of green and black for some grass for the ant hill. 
Add some black ovals in your watermelons for seeds. Erase your pencil lines! 
I sprayed it with Krylon Spray Paint Clear Gloss so the acrylic paint would not chip off.    
Maybe their class stool will get a good bid at the art auction!
Amy

2 comments:

  1. That's so cool! It would be a fun project for your own kids at home to use in the bathroom or something. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this stool! I know it will get a bid :)
    Thanks for linking up and for your super sweet words! Have a great week!
    XO
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete