Thursday, January 13, 2011

How to GLAZE painted furniture

After being trapped inside from the snow/ice storm in Georgia for the last 3 days (Yeah, Georgia is not prepared for winter weather, embarrassing), I decided to show you how to glaze a table. I previously painted this side table with Benjamin Moore #1564 Beach Glass in a flat finish.   
I used a can of glaze from a cabinetry shop .... but you can buy glaze at any home improvement store. 
Dip your brush, pull the brush up the side of the can to minimize amount of glaze on your brush, and paint the entire piece of furniture.
Wipe off the glaze with a cloth or paper towel.  Leave extra glaze in the cracks and corners for an antiqued look. I like to wipe the glaze in one direction then I wipe it in the opposite direction for more texture.   If it is not dark enough for you, let it dry a bit (10 min) and go back over using the same process.
As you can see below, the brown glaze gives a small hint of color in several directions.
Let the glaze dry overnight.  Next step is laquer or poly.  I used a laquer I had from the cabinetry shop ... once I started it became too sticky.  I suggest using a clear poly instead of laquer.  You can get poly at any home improvement store. Paint it on in a thin layer and let it dry overnight.  The poly will protect your piece from drink circles and scratches and will give it a slight sheen. 
Easy to do ... go paint and get crafty.
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment