Thursday, October 7, 2010

Can a laundry room be a HAPPY place?!

What the heck is this mess???  Ummm....my laundry room. Yes, I have 4 boys, but this is embarrassing.  I cannot believe I am posting this.  Sigh. ;)
So the problem is obvious.  I make them take off their shoes when they come inside.  The shoes end up in a mountain of mess.  Ewwwww. 
Mornings consist of looking for their shoes in this pile.  Annoying on many levels. :)
Being the obsessive organizer that I am, I decided to make this room a happy place! 
I bought 4 stackable white bins at Dollar General for $4 each.  Then I wrote each of the boys' names on a bin with a blue paint pen.  (Oldest on top because he is tallest ... but the other ones were upset that theirs was not on top.  Seriously?)

 I was inspired ... so I kept on going.  The boys hang their backpacks in the kitchen on a drawer knob.  Cute and functional, but it gets in the way of me being able to get things out of the lower cabinets.  This is where they normally hang ....

 I bought this over the door hanger at Target for $15.  Love it.    In my laundry is the hot water heater with a cabinetry access door. 

Hang it  & a place for back packs.  4 hooks, 4 boys!  Yeah. 

Still inspired ... kept going.
What should I do with the millions of baseball hats they leave in the laundry room, floorboard of the car, under the couch, etc.?  HOOKS!!  Target!
I bought these 3M hooks that have the sticky tape on the back.  The tape peels off the wall with no damage to your sheetrock (my construction hubby says "yeah").  Got a 6 pack for $8.  They have different weight limits available.  I got hooks that could hold 2 lbs. 
Arrange them as you wish.  TIP:  Put a hat on the one up top before you place the bottom hook.  Then you KNOW you will have enough room.  The directions say to place the hook on the wall and PRESS HARD for 60 seconds.  Then WAIT ONE HOUR before you put anything on the hook.  Target also has BIG HOOKS that can hold up to 40 lbs.  Put them on a wall and hang your backpacks there. 
6 hats (4 boys, Mom and Dad) next to the garage door, grab one on a bad hair day and go! 

Organized and happy. 

1 comment:

  1. I actually really like your solution for shoes. Im trying to remember who it was in blogland that said they dont allow shoes in the house/past the door, whatever. Ive ALWAYS made my family carry their shoes up to their closets to put them away. This makes sense b/c itd mean less dirt being tracked through the house. I like it!

    ReplyDelete