Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Wedding Sign

Okay seriously? Is there still a blog out there calling for a crafty mama? Has a mama jumped ship the last few months? Okay, okay… I know I’ve been a horrific blogger lately. This has been a crazy year… with a full time job, 2.5 year old and a 10 month old, life has kept this family very busy. In the midst of all our wonderful chaos, we found out a little surprise was on the way! Baby #3 has kept mama a little under the weather so my nights have been spent retiring to bed early instead of furiously blogging and surfing for fun ideas online!
In an attempt to get back in the saddle, I’m posting a wedding sign I did for a friend of mine last month. She got married outside and wanted a sign pointing towards the reception and wedding. She has such a fun little spark of personality and she loves bold colors. She picked a few colors from the feathers of a peacock and that’s what we used for the sign.
Started with three pieces of evenly cut MDF board... I got the board already painted white to help out with the task of painting. Smart move.
The Bride gave me a picture of a peacock that had the most beautiful colors. We picked a beautiful bold blue and an apple green color and color matched them as best I could at Home Depot. A quart was the perfect size.
Also, having a great roller is key to a smooth coat of paint.

I used my wonderful Silhouette SD machine to cut vinyl in several fonts. Reason #422 why I love my Silhouette. I used white and black vinyl and although it was time consuming, the finished product turned out great.
Here's the first round
Decided to add their wedding date and add another peacock feather on the bottom green board just to balance everything. I nailed it to a 6 foot stake with a pointed end so that they could easily put it in the ground. One mistake I did make was putting the nails in the fron of the MDF board. Should have done this on the backside, but after a little paint, it wasn't as noticeable.


Such a fun project to do and wish I'd thought of it for my wedding!
 Hope you enjoy!

Katie

2 comments: