Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Spring Painting Project

A Spring project is here!  

Turn this maple bed .....

And this maple armoire..... 
into something spectacular!  Maybe a black antiqued finish? 

This furniture is circa 1999 people.  1999! (Boy, that will make ya feel old, huh?!)  Yes, in 1999, I rather liked this maple look.  Now .... not so much.  However, I do like the style.  Just a little paint and sanding may do the trick. 

I will especially have to sand these parts ....


My boys decided to unleash their artistic abilities on my bed with the point of a geometry compass .... hmmmm.   No, these are not their initials.  This one above is "APSW" ... also know as "Andrew Pirranah Snow Wolf."  HAHAHA! I have no idea what that means? 

Where was I when they were doing this?  I was here ... in my second home.  I really should put a TV in here. 

So, here is the scoop  - I talked with my ever trusting paint store genius, Todd, and got the low down on exactly what I needed to do.  There are 2 options.

Option 1(This one takes longer):
Sand it a lot
prime it and wait for it to dry
paint it

Option 2:
Paint it with a premium paint that has a primer built in and NO SANDING!!!  (except for the initials carved everywhere)
Uh, I am definitely doing this one.  Yes, it costs just a bit more in the paint department, but is totally worth it in the time department. 

My plan is as follows:

Take the bed apart
Set up shop in the garage
Clean the heck out of the wood so sanding is not required! 
Paint the bed first (next week, paint the armoire)
Let it dry
Sand off some of the edges with a sandpaper block to antique the finish (If you decide to do this, Todd, aka paint genius, says you will need to get an oil based paint so you can sand the edges).

I am starting the project soon! 

Spring is here in Georgia and it is time to get outside, enjoy the weather and paint this atrocity!

Check in to see the progress.  Join me with your piece of furniture you want to refinish!
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment